St Martin’s Church designed by Charles Harrison Townsend.
St Martin’s Church, Blackheath.
A plan of the church dating from around 1906.
Published in Moderne Bauformen, Monatshefte Für Architektur” Jahrgang V, Heft 11. (Modern Designs, for Architecture Monthly Volume 5, Book 11.)
This was a monthly magazine published by Julius Hoffmann, in Stuttgart, Germany, and edited by M. J. Gradl. Hoffmann. It dates to around 1906 and depicts a truer representation of the church.
This cast iron fireback is in Guildford Museum, it came from the vestry inglenook fireplace when the cottage was converted for use in conjunction with the new St Martins church.
William Chandler Roberts-Austen bought the cottage and site for the building of a new church at Blackheath. He was one of the founding members of the Guildford Society – still going strong today and trying to save old buildings.
The Wealden Iron Research Group point out that, unusually, the fireback has the ropework border all round, whereas it is usually on the top and sides only. These items are very difficult to date, the likelihood is that it is sixteenth century